Position: Art Director
Come work where your passion for design meets your love of the planet.
We are Paper Culture
We believe that climate change is the greatest crisis facing our planet. We could yell and scream, but instead, we decided to create Paper Culture to inspire people to action. We create products such as stationery, wedding invitations, gifts and wall decor that inspire people: both because of their beauty in design and their mission to save the planet. With each order, we plant a tree. Together with our customers, we’ve planted over 650,000 trees to date.
You are an experienced design executive, creative director, art director or senior designer and a fearless explorer who wants to grow their career at a company where design is the product. You believe that saving the planet is our greatest mission, love bringing joy to our customers through excellent products, and are passionate about editorial design, typography, and a modern aesthetic.
About the job:
The Art Director role is a unique role that will allow you to exercise your creativity in leading the design direction of one of the most unique brands in the industry. As an Art Director, this position will give you a unique opportunity to create the design voice of the company for many years to come through developing a catalog of designs, products and services - many of which have yet to be defined. You will:
- Craft a vision for Paper Culture’s catalog of print and stationery products.
- Lead a team of designers both externally and internally to update and extend Paper Culture’s catalog of thousands of designs
- Be hands-on and work with junior designers to push their designs to higher standards
- Spot design trends and incorporate them into our catalog
- Work with hundreds of freelance designers to source designs unique to our design voice
- Grow our brand identity to attract the next generation of our customers
- Manage our digital identity on the Web and on Mobile
- Create the visual strategy for our marketing efforts in close cooperation with CEO and marketing director
- Envision and execute new product paths that fit the strategic goals of the company to be a market leader at the intersection of design and sustainability
- Lead, nurture and grow an efficient design organization that stays in touch with the market and executes the company’s design strategies quickly and effectively
On a day-to-day basis, this role will require you to:
- Manage a team of designers to execute your design vision.
- Be a part of the company’s executive staff which is responsible for the company’s direction
- Manage our designer relations with a large network of freelance designers
- Manage recruitment of design staff
- Project management of large projects spanning the entire design organization
- Mentor designers as they come up to speed in their jobs
- Drive new solutions and ideas independently.
- 3-5 years experience as a design executive or senior designer
- 8+ years overall graphic design work experience
- Demonstrated experience and excellence in Print
- Ability to curate and inspire both internal and external work to deliver an overall product and brand experience that is truly differentiated by design
- Be hands-on and ready to dive into day-to-day design work if needed
- Be a leading voice in typography, editorial design, web design and user experience.
- Be a team player who will pitch in wherever the business demands call for
- A degree in graphic design.
- On-site position in Millbrae, CA (10-minute walking distance from Caltrain, BART, and major bus lines)
- Full-time position
- Evening and weekend rotations required (during November and December)
- Competitive market salary
- Benefits package for full-time employees includes: medical, dental, & vision, profit sharing, paid vacation, commuter benefits, paid sabbatical
- Incredible personal satisfaction from being a part of a high-achieving, entrepreneurial team (really, we're not kidding, that's the best part!)
To Apply: Please reply to this email with ALL of the following:
- Cover Letter (describe your interests and what is unique about you)
- Salary requirements
- Design portfolio