e-commerce and web systems
Paper Culture creates personalized products beautiful both in their design and their mission to make the planet better with every purchase. Our founders come from a long and successful “Silicon Valley-style” entrepreneurial career path, and have chosen to build Paper Culture with the same commitment to fast-paced innovation, but have combined it with a commitment to values that will ensure that future generations will find a better Earth than us. We are an e-commerce company that helps people cherish their most precious moments in life through personalized and impeccably-designed printed products such as wedding invitations, holiday cards, stationery, and wall decor. Every product sold directly contributes to fighting climate change (learn more). We plant a tree with every order and have planted over 1 Million trees to date.
Our engineering and product organization has its roots in advanced R&D experience at Xerox PARC, Yahoo!, CBS Interactive (CNET), HP, Snapfish, Google, and Microsoft. The team is very startup-savvy and has successfully contributed to the rapid (and profitable!) growth of the company by building highly-scalable and reliable systems that can serve millions of visitors every year.
We are seeking creative individuals with strong software engineering foundations who want to build reliable and performant software that delights millions of people.
As a software engineer at Paper Culture, you will be part of a small but dynamic engineering team that prides itself on using technology to maximize the efficiency and performance of our systems.
We value learning about the latest and greatest technologies and applying them to our systems wherever feasible. You will be exposed to technologies that span high-reliability web systems, functional programming, image processing, data engineering, design automation, CRM tools, artificial intelligence, cloud architectures, and more.
An integral part of Paper Culture is its mission of fighting climate change, and this will be your chance to make an impact on the well-being of the planet!
- Delivery of well-designed, complete and high-quality software features.
- Full-stack development of features for Paper Culture websites as well as internal tools
- Front-end web applications with beautiful design
- RESTful API development
- High performance at every level from database to backend to frontend to network
- Cloud deployments of internal- and external-facing services
- Work seamlessly with internal team members
- Help non-engineering employees of Paper Culture with day-to-day issues arising from use of tools and infrastructure
- 3-7 years of experience
- At least a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. We will consider Master's and Ph.D. degrees as well.
- A demonstrable ability to come up with creative engineering solutions independently, and see them through to completion.
- Experience building user-centric modern web applications (Vue.js, Webpack, TypeScript etc.)
- You must be comfortable with functional programming. Additional familiarity with the Java ecosystem is a plus. Like all modern engineering organizations, Paper Culture has tools that span the language spectrum. You should be comfortable with one or more of the following:
Anything that you don’t know, you should be hungry to learn quickly and effectively.
- You must be comfortable working with relational databases (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Knowledge of how complex systems are architected for reliability, performance and security
- We’re a Unix shop, so you should be very familiar with Unix-like systems (e.g. macOS, Linux, BSD) and live by the command-line.
- You must be comfortable working remotely (this is a remote position).
- Ability to be 'on-call' during evenings and weekends on a rotation basis
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Good communication skills to enable you to work as part of a team
While all candidates should have no problem learning new technologies, it’s a bonus if you have experience with any of the following:
- Play Framework with Scala
- Vue.js and Webpack
- Ruby on Rails
- Google Cloud Platform
- Backbone / Marionette
- Building RESTful APIs
- Automated testing and continuous integration
- Mobile application development (especially iOS)
- UX design
- Prior startup experience
- Remote position, but must be physically located in the United States of America preferably, but not required, in the states of Indiana, North Carolina, South Carolina or California. Flexibility of travel to Millbrae, CA will be required.
- Multiple Positions are available immediately
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Incredible personal satisfaction from being a part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team (really, we're not kidding, that's the best part!)
- Paper Culture will be able to provide H1-B sponsorships provided you are already physically present in the United States.
How to apply
Even if you can’t check every box on our list of requirements, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for passionate engineers who pride themselves on their work and are willing to learn new things and apply themselves to meet new challenges.
- Code portfolio (GitHub or equivalent preferred, or a link to where we can browse code that you are free to share)
- A cover letter as to why you think you will be a great candidate for this job